Sinew backed red oak with black locust Grumbly brush nocks.
The poundage didn't come out like I wanted it to, I tried a bunch of different techniques on this one bow before mastering each one independently. It shoots very fast! It's a prototype. Why don't you write it?!" - Joseph
So I will relay what I observed of his process and shan't leave out any of the particulars. Good or bad.
As usual he cut out the layout of the bow. Then off to the basement he went and boiled the limbs for a half hour each in a pot on Calcifer (that's our woodstove), he bent them and let them sit for; well, as he said, "not long enough!"
After some cracking, he realized his mistakes and cut away the broken tips, boiling the ends again this time for an hour, and let them settle into the bend longer.
Lesson 1, 2 & 3: The next bow will be boiled longer and before the wood it cut to shape then set in a form to get the same bend from each limb and let to sit in the form for a longer period of time.
He took the bow back out to the barn and shaped and sanded it. Since he's not allowed to make that kind of mess in the house anymore he had to suffer the cold barn. Then he glued the black locust Grumbly nocks on and ran back to the warm basement to let those set.
Then, in the basement, he laid out two 2x4's on my gardening table and clamped the bow down deflexed and proceeded to dip sinew in glue and spread it out along both limbs, he wrapped the ends at the nocks with sinew to reinforce them.
After he cleaned up the mess of glue everywhere I went down and covered it with tin foil to keep the cats from eating it.
And we left it there for a few days to dry.
As it dried the sinew started to get clearer and show the wood grain beneath it. Once it was dry he stained it with Gunstock wood stain which made the seems (grain) pop! And poly'ed the hell out of it so the sinew looks like wet glass. At least that's what I think it looks like.
And since he didn't want to write this blog I get to say whatever I feel like.
He's made a nice green and tan Flemish string for it with black serving. And shot a few arrows out of it. He thought it was the bees knees. So he wrapped the handle with some deer hide and gave it a right handed black locust wood riser.
Of course it's right handed and 40#'s and not left handed so I can shoot it. He was quite disappointed with the poundage when he checked it after it was all said and done. So it won't be his hunting bow but instead will be for sale this spring after he's shot a 100 arrows out of it, like he does to all the bows he builds.